Are you passionate about animals and want to help those in need?
Hearts Alive Village has many opportunities to get involved at our Veterinary Clinic. Please read the job descriptions below and follow instructions for how to apply.
Experience in the animal welfare world as it relates to shelter and/or rescue work and care. Aside from the general care of animals, we are looking for someone that is well organized and good at prioritizing tasks since some Kennel Attendants are also required to do inventory and customer service-related tasks. We are looking for someone with good to great communication and problem-solving skills. It is also important to be able to work and communicate in a team environment because you will not only be working with other attendants but also with technicians and veterinarians.
Kennel Attendants accountabilities/job description are as follows:
Keeping the animals fed and restocking supplies, removing litter and leftover food, collecting, and getting rid of fecal matter, disinfecting the area, and replacing the cleared materials. Other tasks may also include transporting the animals to a different area; and carrying out specialized bathing, grooming, and exercise routines. Assist in the administration of other basic procedures and giving medications. Other duties may include observing animals and checking for signs of disease, illness, or discontent; and handling problems in cases where clients or team members are dissatisfied with the service; and maintaining equipment used and making sure they are in good working condition. Responsible for maintaining proper disease control protocols, including cleaning of the facility, preparation of vaccines, and anything required for daily appointments, cleaning, laundry, and general maintenance of the facility.
This is an important part of your accountabilities, since we are a shelter and handle a lot of animals for adoption it is vital that you are continually educating yourself and our clients, fosters, and potential adopters. Communication is key in all aspects of your accountabilities.
- Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts, including but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks
- Must also be able to communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners and be able to repeat information relayed by a veterinarian
- Will be asked to communicate with the public daily in a professional manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform daily cleaning of kennels, cages, and public areas, following proper disease control protocol to ensure a sterile environment
- Keep Lead Veterinary Technician informed of animal behavior, health, or concerns
- Stock all kennel/cleaning supplies as needed
- Stock areas and spot-clean kennels and public areas throughout the day
- Clean and prepare vaccines for the daily intake as needed
- Clean, fold, and stock kennel laundry throughout the clinic
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to work standing or sitting for 8 or more hours
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs repeatedly throughout the day and up to 100 lbs with help
- Must be able to bend and kneel repeatedly
- Must be able to see fine details in a variety of situations
- Must have good hearing including the ability to distinguish changes in pitch
- Must have a reasonable degree of agility to move through tightly cramped areas
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
Current or previous kennel experience or pet care in a rescue or kennel environment
- Minimum one years’ experience working in a veterinary hospital or clinic, animal shelter experience preferred.
- Excellent communications, organizational and technical skills.
- Shows maturity, good judgment and performs duties in a professional manner.
- Ability to work under pressure and stay calm in stressful situations.
- Must be in good physical and mental health with no allergic condition which might be aggravated by exposure to animals.
- Valid Nevada Driver’s License and good driving history.
- Proficiency with the use of computers (word/excel, etc.) and Shelter database software (NeoIdexx or similar), and most office equipment.
- Demonstrated capability to be a self-starter, facilitator, and organizer.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals, ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Hearts Alive Village reserves the right to revise or change this job description as necessary, or as business requires. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.